p-ISSN: 1306-696x | e-ISSN: 1307-7945
Volume : 28 Supp : 1 Year : 2022

Quick Search




SCImago Journal & Country Rank
Turkish Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery Urological injuries in the civil war of Libya [Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg]
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2022; 28(1): 90-93 | DOI: 10.14744/tjtes.2020.57291

Urological injuries in the civil war of Libya

Özkan Onuk1, Nusret Can Çilesiz2, Arif Özkan2, Elbrus Zarbaliyev3, Nurten Dayıoğlu4, Barış Nuhoğlu1
1Department of Urology, Yeniyüzyıl University Faculty of Medicine, İstanbul-Turkey
2Department of Urology, Taksim Training and Research Hospital, İstanbul-Turkey
3Department of General Surgery, Yeniyüzyıl University Faculty of Medicine, İstanbul-Turkey
4Department of Biostatistics, Yeniyüzyıl University Faculty of Medicine, İstanbul-Turkey

BACKGROUND: In this article, we aimed to evaluate results of patients who acquired various injuries during Libya civil war who then were transferred to our facility with genitourinary trauma for further assessment and treatment.
METHODS: A total of 121 wounded patients, including 21 (17.3%) with 1 or more combined urogenital injuries, were treated at Yeni Yüzyıl University Private Gaziosmanpaşa Hospital from October 2014 to September 2016.
RESULTS: Of the 21 patients, 13 (61.9%) were injured by explosive weapons, while the rest 8 (38.1%) had bullet wounds. The 21 urogenital injuries were to the kidney in 7 cases (33.4%), ureter in 5 (23.8%), bladder in 5 (23.8%), scrotum in 2 (9.5%), and penis in 2 (9.5%). There was associated damage to organs other than the urogenital system in 21 patients (100%). Two patients had nephrectomies performed on-site medical facility. The rest of patients had no urogenital organ resections. Urogenital trauma had higher rates of liver damage, generalized infection, blood transfusions, and longer hospital stay.
CONCLUSION: Knowing that war related surgery patients should be approached as a distinct and non-standard category, every case must be evaluated individually. Patients should be evaluated in a multidisciplinary approach and physicians should be aware of infections affecting morbidity and mortality.

Keywords: Multiple trauma, urogenital trauma; war surgery; war-related trauma.

Libya sivil savaşında gerçekleşen ürolojik yaralanmalar

Özkan Onuk1, Nusret Can Çilesiz2, Arif Özkan2, Elbrus Zarbaliyev3, Nurten Dayıoğlu4, Barış Nuhoğlu1
1Yeniyüzyıl Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Üroloji Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul
2Taksim Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Üroloji Kliniği, İstanbul
3Yeniyüzyıl Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Genel Cerrahi Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul
4Yeniyüzyıl Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Biyoistatistik Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul

AMAÇ: Bu makalede Libya sivil savaşında genitoüriner yaralanma sonrası ileri inceleme ve tedavi amacıyla tarafımıza transfer edilen hastaların tedavi sonuçlarını değerlendirmeyi ve sunmayı amaçladık.
GEREÇ VE YÖNTEM: Bir ya da daha fazla kombine 21 (%17.3) ürogenital yaralanması olan hasta olmak üzere toplam 121 yaralı hasta, Ekim 2014–Eylül 2016 arasında Yeni Yüzyıl Üniversitesi Özel Gaziosmanpaşa Hastanesi’nde tedavi edildi.
BULGULAR: Yirmi bir hastanın 13’ünde (%61.9) patlayıcı silahlar, %8’inde (%38.1) mermi yaraları vardı. Yirmi bir hastanın yedisinde böbrek yaralanması (%33.4), beşinde (%23.8) üreteral yaralanma, beşinde (%23.8) mesane yaralanması, ikisinde (%9.5) skrotum, ikisinde (%9.5) penis yaralanması saptandı. Ürogenital sistem dışındaki organ yaralanmaları 21 hastanın tamamında eşlik etmekteydi. Böbrek yaralanması olan iki hastada nefrektomi yapıldı. Geri kalan hastalarda ürogenital organ rezeksiyonu yapılmadı. Ürogenital travma oranının karaciğer hasarı, genel enfeksiyon, kan transfüzyonu ve uzamış hastane yatışından daha fazla olduğu saptandı.
TARTIŞMA: Savaşla ilişkili cerrahi hastalarının ayrı ve standart olmayan bir kategori olarak ele alınması gerektiğini bilerek, her olgu ayrı ayrı değerlendirilmelidir. Hastalar multidisipliner bir yaklaşımla değerlendirilmeli ve doktorlar morbidite ve mortaliteyi etkileyen enfeksiyonların farkında olmalıdır.

Anahtar Kelimeler: Multipl travma, savaş cerrahisi; savaşla ilişkili travma; ürogenital travma.

Özkan Onuk, Nusret Can Çilesiz, Arif Özkan, Elbrus Zarbaliyev, Nurten Dayıoğlu, Barış Nuhoğlu. Urological injuries in the civil war of Libya. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2022; 28(1): 90-93

Corresponding Author: Özkan Onuk, Türkiye
Manuscript Language: English